Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nobody on the Road

Still on the road. It's taking us longer than expected to get to the next place in the book: Leavenworth, Kansas. Yes. Joy.

I've been writing in my journal more often. I know it's sort of paradoxical having a journal and a blog, but the journal is for more private thoughts. Thoughts I don't wish to share, not even with Frank. He respects that - sometimes I think it would be a good idea if he had a journal, too, or if he wrote more in the blog. But he doesn't.

Even I know sometimes that private journals aren't private though, so my journal is an old copy of Through the Looking-Glass and I write my thoughts underneath the words and in the margins. So technically, it's a palimpsest. I don't know why I decided to do it that way, but I did. I like writing underneath words that were written before - words describing Alice's live chess match, her conversation with the Red Queen, all the nonsense wisdom.

I never really understood the book before we started on this mission - or whatever you would call it. I always thought it was just pure nonsense. It is nonsense, but it's right, too. I don't know what I'm saying. I just reread this passage and I'm getting tired:
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Run as twice as fast to stay where you are. Nonsense wisdom, see?

Sleep now.

 -- Carol Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment